My journey on "How to connect unconnected potential dots in agriculture to create a value proposition" further triggered with recent Mumbai trip experiences and key observations with corporates,buraeucrats,NGOs,policy makers,philanthropists,social activists, academicians etc.,It took me to a thought process of how integration of these different perspectives of professionals and a social acumen in India can bring wisdom in agriculture.A Dr friend also shared me coincidentally that mental illness of farmers due to drought lead to many suicides in Karnataka.So we cannot deal issues in isolation especially in a rural setup.A holistic view of agriculture is highly necessitated.Agriculture is not about seeds,fertilizers,pesticides,soil etc but something beyond that to sustain the agri-ecosystem.An element of wisdom from each of us and a right temperament at different levels surely bring progressive growth in agriculture.We all need to pledge to"Responsible Farming" and start using a different lense in our professional and personal life.If we eat responsibly(healthy food)the demand driven agriculture makes and drives farmer towards"Responsible Farming" It's a high time for tink thanks of this country to think broadly.
Quite often, we use the tool of SWOT for effective and comprehensive planning of projects, to have proper contingency plans and a mechanism to handle emergencies.Are we evaluating human attitudes through SWOT as a primary component of projects?Technologies and processes help to only certain extent but human element has to be properly taken care as they can embrace or disrupt the designed systems.Hence, 3M SWOT tool helps in assessing strengths,weaknesses,opportunities and threats of human capital involved in the projects.Basis 3M SWOT analysis, we can have a focused program to work on identified strengths and red flags of human too. 3M SWOT analysis is to be done by cross functional team and HR only facilitates the process. If 3M SWOT is successfully done, we can easily leverage on cognitive thinking of human capital which makes projects more viable sustainable.Gradually it becomes an opportunity to bring cultural upliftments and individual behavior changes though it takes considerable time.Fast track programs are always dangerous as they completely ignore human element.
Saying this all,3M SWOT works only if we have conviction - determination - action - destination.
I wish and request all of you including me to adhere to what you say while wishing for 2020. Joy, peace, prosperity etc., are relatively bigger words but remember it requires immense courage, self control and high level EQ to demonstrate to ensure them happening. A simple sentence like "Wish you a happy new year" means a lot and makes each of us accountable to others happiness while we are happy. Hence, be prepared and wish even for a small change but impactful and sustainable change. Happy 2020 and I promise to act for your happiness😊
Out-of-box thinking is a management buzz word we keep hearing oflate. However, we have to work within definite rules and regulations, we need to follow office timings, our job description is very clear on what to do, we have metrics to measure our performance, we have talking points to deal with external stakeholders, our job and performance are counted by money, we have stretch goals to count more money etc., So we are over ruled by materials and systems but thinking has to be out-of-box which is a serious mismatch. There is a too much suppression and compression within a system causing depression in job and that's why lot of mental health issues have come up in recent times. Hence, there is an urgent need to bring back human in human resources and they have to be constantly measured by cognitive processes where body, mind and soul work together. This gives true freedom to think and then they can start an infinite journey towards out-of-box thinking.
Corporates in India are contributing a large for economy by creating products, services,employment opportunities and thus development of nation.Question here is whether development aimed and achieved is sustainable and human resources are considered as organization's potential.Corporate leaders should change their leadership style as "servant leadership" and constantly take feedback from peers and employees for organizational growth.They should cultivate a habit of "smile from heart" when they look around.Leaders need to be "tactful" but not "political".They should spend more time in listening than talking.Teams they nurture not just to become successful but to win.Human relationship should be an anchor point for developing business relationship.HR function acts like a backbone for any organization.They should work beyond activities like performance assessment which is a mere postmortem exercise,hence they need to be more proactive.They must come out of their cabins for employee engagement.Happiness index should be a criteria for culture assessment which is much beyond "great place"concept. Employee trainings are to be redefined.Organizations, leaders and employees should slogan at "we grow by letting others to grow".
-Sustainability is not fashion,it must be a passion
-Sustainability is not job role,it must be a way of life
-Sustainability is not just destination,it must be a journey
-Sustainability is not just a policy statement,it must be an accountability
-Sustainability is not for a report, it must be through well grounded actions
-Sustainability is not just knowledge,it must lead to wisdom
-Sustainability is not just for CSR or BRRF or SDG or GRI it is for our basic living
-Sustainability is not around numbers,it is to create an impact
-Sustainability is not for extensive growth,it is for an inclusive development
- Sustainability is not through a bodily action,it must be a heartfelt phenomenon
- Sustainability is not just reflection of our thoughts,it must come through deep introspection
- Sustainability is not just based on science,but it is an art
- Sustainability is not to manage development,it must sustain development
- Sustainability is not a mere action,it must be an attitude
- Sustainability is not just through science,it is possible through conscience
- Sustainability is true SMARTNESS of helping each other! Whoever has sustainable thinking, doing and belief, they will win this WORLD !
Be Sustainable - Be Smart - Be a Winner
Republic day reminds us on being constitutional, mindful & lawful, responsible & Organic within a framework of democratic, secular, socialistic, sovereign setup of India duly considering the cultural & geographical diversities.
Its not just wishing on Republic Day , heartfully willing to bind to rules of nation.Its an opportunity to remind and refresh the true spirit of constitutionalism among all of us.
My journey on "How to connect unconnected potential dots in agriculture to create a value proposition" is further triggered with recent Mumbai trip experiences and key observations with corporate,bureaucrats,NGOs,policy makers,philanthropists,social activists, academicians etc.,It took me to a thought process of how integration of the diversified perspectives of professionals blended with a social acumen can bring wisdom in agriculture.A Dr friend also coincidentally shared me that mental illness of farmers due to drought lead to many suicides in Karnataka.So we cannot deal issues in isolation especially in a rural setup.A holistic view of agriculture is highly necessitated.Agriculture is not about seeds,fertilizers,pesticides,soil etc but something beyond that to sustain the whole agri-ecosystem.An element of wisdom from all of us and a right temperament at different levels surely bring progressive growth in agriculture.We all need to pledge to"Responsible Farming" and start using a different lens in our professional and personal life.If we eat responsibly(healthy food)the demand driven agriculture makes and drives farmer towards"Responsible Farming" It's a high time for think tanks of this country to think broadly.
Root Cause analysis of many man-made problems (other than natural) and if we critically evaluate the determinants, it mostly boils down to "Thinking Constraints" but not resource or technical constraints.
It is widely applicable from President of the country to a common man, Policy maker to beneficiary, Politician to Party follower, Celebrity to citizen, Corporate CEO to shop-floor personnel, Buraeucrat to an office attendant, Family head to child, Union leader to member, Team lead to team member, Naxalite to a extremist, Hero to a villain. Broadly the thinking constraints revolve around
What's in it for me?
How I can get benefit?
Am I recognized or identified?
Others are not my concern?
Rules of nature are not my agenda?
Spirit of Constitutionalism is not priority?.
The missing element in whole thinking process commonly is
"We - attitude"
"Purpose of being I and We"
"Not understanding whole meaning of life"
"Building my own ecosystem and living in illusion".
Shifting this paradox to a new value proposition is not easy, time consuming and whole transformation requires a cognitive approach and an attitude of negotiation rather than confrontation. Leaders should demonstrate servant leadership style and they shoud aim at Happiness index rather than GDP, ROI and other Development indices alone.
Strongly wish that Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) should have "Goal 18 - Thinking Disabilities" but time frame to achieve is definitely not 2030
Its very unfortunate and painful situation that two natural entities created by nature have become antagonistic to each other now.Greediness of Humans in producing more from less without a vision spoiled the soil health.We feel its our right and we go against willingness of nature and keep adding chemicals to soil and deprived its carbon content and microbes in it.The impacted soil in its helpless state,is not able to produce quality food which is deprived of vitamins and enzymes.Eating this unhealthy food,we become restless, brainless to produce further more chemical food and also become immune to all kinds of ailments.While farmers changed the plant diet, consumers changed human diet and both are deliberate and desperate attempts by humans. Cancers, virus infections etc., have become popular now-a-days because we became immune and microbes became more resistant. Overall the impacted soil health and human health has become serious detrimental to Nation's wealth.The only remedy and road map now is to Sow a thought-Apply conviction-Spray positive energy-Reap vision.Government and Non government bodies should come together to collaborate and have a common vision for "Responsible Agriculture"
Fatty salaries,good perks,many previliges,flexi timings,abroad travels, work from home etc are current work place comforts in many premier institutions.This keeps employee in a very comfortable zone and tempt them to become very loyal and be committed to all business man-made challenges.Also,employees live in a state of illusion and delusion without knowing that it leads to a big life confusion one day.At times,they ignore families and friends to meet their stretch targets and build their own short sighted ecosystem. However the real discomfort is about work culture,pseudo leadership qualities,lack of transparency, conspiracies,working in silos,inefficient HR processes to engage employees, encouraging wrong attitudes tactfully.So the comfort may be to bear discomfort created. These conflicting and contradiction keep loyal and honest employees in to indecisive state,gradually work stress,mental illness and eventually depression.It has become a common phenomenon oflate in institutions. So,employees to make their proper choices of academics & profession in alignment with their passion and intuition. Be courageous and understand that the job is just a component in life and life has a bigger purpose and meaning! .
This would be an ideal proposition to transform Amaravathi as a Special Agriculture Zone (SAZ) or Agriculture Export Zone (AEZ) duly respectful of natural ecosystem therein and by considering SEZ experiences of the state in the past as a potential opportunity for economic and sustainable growth. It is beyond an agriculture project and duly blended with many social components to deal with local dynamics. This approach has the following advantages:
1. Naturally and historically Amaravathi location being resourceful for agriculture, this would be a best location for intensive agriculture
2. A hub of agriculture universities and scientists in close vicinity can contribute further
3. About 33000 acres of agriculture land in 29 villages can be well built in to an integrated setup having different models of agriculture like vertical farming, hydroponics, organic agriculture, commercial crops, horticulture crops, medicinal and aromatic plants, animal husbandry, agri-tourism etc.
4. An end to end supply chain systems can be in built for better traceability and trackability
5. Commodity Based Group Farming or FPOs or Co-operatives through an institutional approach can be easily introduced
6. This can be a hub of many CoEs (Center for of Excellence) and to develop many pilot models of agriculture, clean energy and closed cycle farming principles
7. Sentiments of local farmers and farm labour can be protected as their rights for farming are ensured
8. This can be partially or fully an export zone for agriculture, certified organic zone due to larger area under controlled conditions
9. SAZ can built on self- sustained and revenue generated business model by making relevant knowledge and technology partners to invest and operate besides many federal and international institutional funding agencies
10. A skill-based training center for youth and women can be developed on relevant farm themes defined
11. SAZ model can be best example for the entire nation and create new benchmarks in agriculture industry
12. Farmers can be made shareholders in SAZ or AEZ to gain economic equity
13. Research can be an integral component in SAZ or AEZ for crop specific and other related issues
14. This can be a best pre-commercial testing location for many corporate partners to test their products and services and for launching government schemes around agriculture
15. We can make many corporates as partners to introduce their technologies and innovations
16. Private Public Partnership models can be well evaluated under controlled conditions
17. Agriculture innovations like AI tools, IoT, climate smart agriculture methodologies can be showcased
18. Pest surveillance, weather forecasting models can be implemented in a larger area
19. Best crop practices, irrigation systems, farm mechanization, post-harvest technologies, required value addition and processing facilities can be proven about their intrinsic value
20. Amaravathi SAZ experience and learnings can help to emulate and evolve few more SAZ or AEZ in the state and this may gradually change agriculture face of the state and country as well
21. Agriculture labour and their rights can be well protected through an organized approach in line with national laws and international regulations
22. SAZ or AEZ can create multiple employment opportunities for skilled, semi-skilled and unskilled manpower
23. Ancillary farm-based industries, organic and millet food parksagri startups etc., can slowly evolve and help to expand business opportunities especially for rural women and youth
24. Consumer satisfaction index and common man happiness index becomes multifold
25. Respect and passion for agriculture in youth and future generations can be sustained
26. This can be a novel and newer model in agriculture to face future challenges in agriculture and eventually food security issues of this country
27. The spirit and voice of Amaravathi as an “inclusive location for growth and exclusive location for innovation” can be raised to rest of the world while “go along with nature”
28. The whole approach help meeting Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) of UN for sustainable economic growth especially SDG no 12 on Responsible Consumption and Production and SDG 13 on Climate Action
Overall, this can be a hub for transforming agriculture as an economic enterprise by setting good examples and establishing new sustainable model and benchmarks.
First of all,we are not in a position to define what is definition of health due to certain inhibitions we have in our mind. Further,we think that health is only bodily health. Infact,comprehensive definition of health is that,its a combination of physical,mental and spiritual health.Since we have been living in a materialistic world,we don't count on mental & spiritual health and we think that having normal BP & no diabetic etc is just health. What we feel healthy & wealthy is not really healthy and sustainable.The true spirit of healthy mind and soul is very broad and few symptoms of true health are:
- Self awareness and self correction
- Helping others - Seeing a purpose in life
- Creating a meaning for life
- Having good friends
- Respecting nature and others
- Being transparent
- Having a sustainable thinking
- Not having thinking disabilities
- Able to influence and inspire others
- Demonstrating emotional intelligence
- Creating a value in whatever we do
- Following ethics and being honest
- Ability to collaborate many
- Talking truth boldly
- A true smile
The question here,is whether this ideal situation is possible.Yes,its possible with a strong will & a great vision.We are best doctors to heal our ailments and to remain healthy.